Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mother of Nine

The experiences I've had raising nine children would certainly fill volumes but what it has taught me can be summed up in one word - patience.  My mother was the perfect example of patience and my father taught me to "listen to your mother".  I've also learned to listen completely. Both of these "life principles" have enriched every aspect of my life.  When my father reached his 80s and was experiencing dementia I practiced patience and listening, when my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I practiced patience and listening, as a wife I practice patience and listening, as a secretary at an elementary school with over 700 children and 60 staff members - you guessed it - I practice patience and listening.  My mother also taught me calmness.  When my brother, Tommy, was hit and killed by a car while getting off the school bus my mother never "lost it" in front of me and my siblings, but we knew how much she loved and missed him.

I was born in Fruita, CO and was named by my brothers.  My mother had given birth to my oldest brother, Jim, then a girl they named Martha Ann that lived less than an hour, then my brothers Tom and Bob and finally me.  My brothers just loved the name Sandra and my mother's nurse in the hospital was Helen - so thus came my name - Sandra Helen.  

I am so blessed to be the wife of Bill Bachler and the mother of Levi, Marie, Craig, Tom, Richard, Marti, Kristi, J.R. and Michael.  They are my teachers and I am their pupil.  They are the sources of my greatest joy.  I am also the proud grandmother of Aly, C.J., Tyler, Joe, Marissa, Corinne, J.R., Brooklyn, Carter, Tyler #2, Mason and Matyson the sources of great happiness.  

    

1 comment:

Natalie said...

You are indeed the perfect example of patience and listening. And.....you are the best kind of friend this woman could ever have. You are my inspiration! (but obviously I should "listen" to you more!!!)